Sunday 13 January 2008

Training towards the MdS 2010 - 6

Well, if I can't run, then I can still do gym, and workout my upper body. Went off to gym this afternoon, and had a good 1:30 session.

5 minutes warm-up on the stationery cycle
25 minutes full stretching programme
1 hour chest, biceps and abs workout

It really felt good. Until about 18 months ago, I did a lot of weight-lifting, and, whilst I did not achieve the bodily results I had hoped for (I am a hard-gainer, and my bone structure does just not allow for a big muscles!!!!), I did get some good definition. However, around then, things started to go wrong. Disc hernia, shoulder operation, elbow operation, and do on, and I neglected my training. In May 2007, I turned instead to running, and, well.... the rest is documented here.

I enjoy working out very much indeed, but was just getting frustrated with it as I was not getting "big". Today in gym, I looked at myself in one of the mirrors, and thought to myself: "You look like a runner now" - thin!!!!!! It's not a complaint as I want to lose more weight (but fat, not muscle!!!!) for my running when I am able to re-start. However, I have lost the upper-body defintion I had before. Oh, well, one can't have everything, and, until I can run again, I shall concentrate on working out, cycling and swimming.

I realised today, that stretching is most beneficial, and, if I'd done it before, I might not have ended up with this injury I have now. I'm going to try and do a good twenty minutes of stretching (at home) every day from now on. It felt good at gym, but at gym I'd rather work out!!!

So, today I don't feel as usueless as I did yesterday, and it's a great feeling; not nearly as great, though, as running. I miss my running already!!!! Patience, mate!!!!! It'll come back, and this time, I know what to do - slower and stretch!!!!!!!!

Merry Sunday.

No comments: