Saturday 5 January 2008

Training towards the MdS 2010 - 1


Decided I'd seperate these blog entries into Training and Countdown - the former, obviously, being my training blog, which will cover over two years; the latter, a blog of general ruminations and thoughts concerning the race, as well as diverse matters such as shoes, equipment, contact, etc., and, finally, the blog of my participation in March/April 2010!!!!!!!

Today's training blog actually pertains to yesterday. I hadn't run since 26th December (and before that, the last run was the Zürcher Silversterlauf on 16th December!!!). This leg is really getting to me. There are times when I have no pain at all, and other times when I can hardly walk. The frustration is telling, and I'm becoming really aggressive because I am not able to run. Anyway, yesterday was a good day, leg-wise, so I decided to hit the road towards evening. I dressed in my running gear, did some stretching first, set up my iPod/Nike+ gadget, and attained satellite connection on my Garmin Forerunner 305.

I planned on a short run, no more than 5 km, but, once I had got going, it felt so good, that I deviated from my planned route, and ended up running down by the Rhein (Rhine), and through the military area. The mild Föhn wind was blowing quite strongly, but my spirits were high, and my leg/hip felt good. I didn't once have pain in my body, and could easily have run a half-marathon distance, except that it was getting dark (I had no light with me), and it may have been foolish after having not run for so long.

Back home after 7,84 km, I downloaded all my data, and was pleased with my results, given the circumstances. Managed a 5:05/km pace on average - not an elite, but not bad for an injured old sod of 51 years of age.

I did feel a fair amount of pain in my leg/hip once I'd had a bath, and we had walked into town to do some evening shopping - but nothing that Aspirin and, before I went to bed, Ecofénac couldn't mask!!!

It's now Saturday afternoon (5th January), and the Föhn is still blowing, keeping the temperatures far milder than would normally be the case for January, so I'm going to go off for another run, being suitably dosed up on Aspirin. Mental note to self: buy another pair of long running tights!!!! Have to wait for my longs to dry after I washed them late yesterday evening (and forget to hang them out to dry!!!!!).

No comments: