Saturday 12 January 2008

Iliopsoas Tendinitis

After my run on Tuesday, and lower-body workout on Wednesday, my leg/hip has become progressively worse. Alarmingly, it's started in the left leg now, too, but not quite as bad as in the right.

Yesterday (Friday), I decided to go for a short run, but did not get further than about 250 metres before the pain struck again, so violently, that I came to an abrupt halt, and whinced in pain. There was no way I could run home, so walked with a limp. That was the end of my run for Friday. Absolutely pathetic, and I've really had enough of all this.

I've been doing some research this morning, and have found, that the full medical term for my condition is iliopsoas tendinitis. I'm going to have to study some of the more fundamental medical terms associated with the malady, as used in my medical books, because there is a lack of knowledge on my part in some areas. However, the best Internet articles I have found thus far, are these:

http://www.emedicine.com/SPORTS/topic52.htm#Multimediamedia1
http://www.drpribut.com/sports/iliopsoas.html
http://www.physioroom.com/injuries/groin_and_pelvis/hip_flexor_strain_full.php#2767
http://www.aidmybursa.com/illiopsoas-bursitis-anatomy.php

Pretty comprehensive, and describe my injury accurately. Now to try and heal the wretched thing so I can get back to running. Lats night, we went out for dinner, and I used my crutches (which I still had after my knee meniscus operation in 1998) to walk to the restaurant. I don't know if the crutches help, but I think I will use them for a while, anyway, just to take some of the pressure of walking off my hips. Of course, the sight of crutches results in numerous, stupid questions from people around!!!!!

The Semi-Marathon de Paris is getting ever closer, and my training is virtually non-existent. I've got to the stage where I am already considering quitting the race, because there is no way I can do any training at the moment. The Zürich Marathon in April is also in question at the moment. Perhaps I really do need to give my legs a rest for a couple of months, and then start again. However, I must make an appointment to see Dr. Hasler again next week, as even the Ecofénac meds are not working anymore!!!!


The joys of running!!!!

No comments: