Tuesday 8 January 2008

The Final Diagnosis



Wow, am I relieved!!!!!!!! I had my appointment this morning with the orthopaedic speclialist, Dr. Hasler, and he assured me that my leg/hip problem is not a stress fracture of the femoral neck, nor do I have osteoarthritis. There are, indeed, two problems, but they will not prevent me from running:

1. I have a slightly malformed femoral head which rubs against the hip joint from time to time when I run, especially intensely. This is not an immediate problem, but will be watched because it could be a cause of future osteoarthritis. This is not what is causing me the pain from which I have been suffering, but rather ....

2. an infection of the Psoas muscle where it joins the femur (I think!!!! - need to research it more), also caused by intense running without stretching and warming up properly. This can be treated with continuing use of Ecofénac and Aspirin, coupled with specific stretching exercises three times a day. With time, the infection will reduce and the pain with it.

Most importantly, I can run again, although I will suffer form the pain for a while yet, and can use Aspirin during the day to alleviate it - Ecofénac only to be taken at night.

Once I had heard all this, my rather depressed and sullen mood of late, rose markedly, and I am ready again to take on the running world!!!!!! I really had feared that my running life would come to an abrupt end only a few months after it had seriously started.

So, from tomorrow (Tuesday), I am back into training. Was going to go for a run this evening, but it's pouring with rain, and I'm not in the mood for the dreaded treadmill at gym.

No comments: