Thursday 10 January 2008

The lure of the Marathon des Sables











What is it about the Marathon des Sables that lures certain people (me included) to such a great extent, that nothing else comes to matter in the world?

Take these three photographs above, for example (I have no idea who took them - I simply found them on the 'Net, but, if they're yours, and you don't want them here, just give me a shout; if you don't mind them being here, well, then, thanks): they're a fraction of the many pics I have downloaded onto my laptop, and which I look at on a daily basis, just LONGING to finally have my turn at the MdS. There are those who would look at these pics and would consider anyone wanting to do this as a complete lunatic, ready for the nut-house.

I have read all the blogs and reports pertaining to the MdS that I can get hold of, as well as the brilliantly-written book by Mark Hines of his March 2007 participation. The 37-page blog entry by Alan Silcock I printed out, and have read 3 times in the last ten days (see "Links to other loons" on the left of the blog page), and am about to start re-reading Mark's book after only finishing it last week. I just cannot get enough. This whole thing is possessing me, but it's a magnificent possession.

I know, it's not going to be a walk in the park. It's hard, it's tough, it's brutal, people have died on it; there will be times on the race when I question my very sanity, and seriously consider quitting; the thought of all that sticky suntan lotion being covered in Saharan sand - yuck, it's just not me; not showering for a week, and sharing a tent with seven other farting, snoring, filthy, sweaty competitors - it's just not me; depriving myself of a good glass (or more) of wine after dinner, as well as fine food - it's just not me.

But you know something? It IS me!!!!! It is me, because deep inside, there is an absolute craving for this - a craving, which has been lying dormant for most of my life, but which is surfacing now, and will come to the fore thanks to the MdS. Just looking at Alan Silcock's blog entry, I could list a hundred things that, in earlier years, would have convinced me this was not for me. Now, however, this is exactly what I am looking for!!!!! It really is hard to understand, but it just is.

More than anything else in the world, I want to (and shall) do the MdS, and 2010 just cannot come quickly enough for me.

No comments: