Tuesday 22 January 2008

Medical Update - back and forth 2

My leg seems to be healing!!!!! On Sunday and today, I had very little pain and did not have to use crutches at all. I was very tempted to go running this evening, but thought I'd wait first, to discuss it with Dr. Hasler during my appointment at 1 o'clock this afternoon.

The medical man was very pleased with the bone scan images, and also told me, that the blood tests were all negative, as well as kidney and liver tests from the blood. That's a good sign. The injury is most definitely localised in the upper leg where the Iliopsoas muscles insert into the Femur.

The procedure is now this: continue, with no breaks, on Ecofénac 150 as well as a "stomach protection" med (Ecofénac is apparently a killer on the stomach!!!). I received a corticosteroid injection in the butt. No running/stretching/cycling/swimming until the 31st January, and then we will re-examine the situation. I receive a second cortisone injection on Monday next week. He is quite confident that all will be well by the end of the month.

The Semi-Marathon de Paris is definitely out, but the Zürich (full) mara could very well be on, but with a slower pace than originally intended - I had hope for 3h45', but will reduce this to 4 hours or even slower - Zürich will be there next year, too, and I can go for a faster time then.

Anticipating a quck recovery, and good re-introduction to training, I have made a list of several marathons I'd like to run this year; however, all being well, I shall only choose two (including, hopefully, Zürich), and perhaps three half-marathons, plus my planned solo run from Zürich to Chur (about 125 km) with rucksack.

I'm very excited again, and feel motivated, especially as the pain has subsided markedly, and the results were encouraging. Here's hoping. I shall really be good for the rest of the month, and only train my upper body. I shall have to watch my calorific intake as I won't be burning many calories now - vineyard owners all over the world will have a sleepless night!!!!!

We had a strongish earthquake in Chur this evening. It was certainly the strongest I have felt, and we've had a few here over the years. It registered 4,2 on the Richter Scale - not Tsunami-generating stuff, but scary nonetheless. The whole house shook twice in succession. The noise was like what I can imagine bombs exploding to sound like - damn frightening. I was sitting in my study at the time, and jumped up and stood under the doorframe in case the whole place came down around me. Kurt was walking to his wellness, and saw the railway lines of the Arosabahn train actually moving in the ground. There is no evident damage in our apartment, and we will inspect the house tomorrow. A 'quake in the early nineties caused some large cracks in the apartment right upstairs.

Tomorrow I am taking the body of a dead Portuguese man down to Zürich Airport for transport back to his homeland. It'll be nice to get out of the business for a morning, even though I am still "doing death".

No comments: