Wednesday 9 January 2008

Training towards the MdS 2010 - 4

How wonderful to be able to get out on the road this evening, and get in a comfortable 13-km run. No record-shattering paces, but a casual average of 5:06/km with a couple of spikes and a few slow moments.

It's funny, but pre-MdS-decision, my thoughts while I ran were mainly directed towards my upcoming first full mara in Zürich on 20th April. Now, each running step is a step towards the MdS - nothing else matters. I wonder if I really am a nutter. Who cares, though, as it's my greatest obsession in life, and I'm going to achieve it, no matter what. I have never been so motivated.

Something I am learning slowly, though, and that is, that "normal" people are as interested in the MdS as I am in politics (i.e. zero interest!!!), and I think it's time to confine my enthusiasm to my blog and the MdS forum, as well as a few people who really do show a fascination in what I am doing. My daily text messages and/or e-mails home to South Africa have also started taking on a less-MdS tone to save myself from threat of ex-communication!!!! Big smile. My friends and family all think I'm a nutter anyway, and I think the MdS has convinced them of the fact!!!!! My fascination with the French Foreign Legion and the US Marine Corps have also had them thinking about casting aspersions about me!!!!! Some things are best left kept to oneself, or to specific forums and websites.

Well, that's it for today. I feel excellent after my run, although do notice, that I have lost a fair amount of condition during this injury time, and have a lot of serious training to do before Paris on 2nd March, and Zürich on 20th April. Regretably, my 18-week training programme for the full mara has been shattered due to the leg/hip thing, but I will catch up as best as I can. All that matters for me is the ability to achieve the MdS - not to win (that doesn't even come into question), but to partake and enjoy it!!!!!!! I can hardly wait!!!!!!!

So, now for a relaxing evening, reading. Why haven't more people written books about the MdS? I got through Mark Hines's book in two days (because I was so totally absorbed in it), and am now gasping for more!!!!! Ah, well, I'll enjoy James Brady's new work Why Marines Fight - a quite intriguing look at the psyche of the US Marines.

'Til the morrow.......

No comments: