Tuesday 29 January 2008

Medical Update - back and forth 3

It's been a week since I last blogged. I had hoped by now, that I would have good news about my running. Hmmm? Good news I do, indeed, have, but not yet about running.

The fact is, my Ilipsoas tendon is improving markedly; I have no pain whatsoever anymore, and can walk without a limp. It really feels great, and I feel the need to get out there and RUN!!!!! However, I went for my second corticosteroid injection from Dr. Hasler yesterday, and we had a chat about my running. My disappointment at what he said, must have been very evident. Whilst he's very happy with the progress I have made, he feels, that a return to running at the end of this week would be foolish, as the tendon is still very tender, and stressing it with running could possibly cause a relapse, which would knock me back another several weeks/months. Logically, then, I should further desist from running for another two weeks. I know he's right, but I felt very low after that news. I have got used to the idea since then, though, and am now HOPING for a return to running from Saturday, 9th February. I see the good doc again next Monday, and trust his news for me will be what I want to hear!!!!!

In the meantime, I have been putting in a lot of time at my gym, doing upper-body and core workouts (not allowed to do legs, yet), and, I have to say, I feel great, and will make sure I keep up the workouts even when I do start running again. Instead of like before, when I was pushing to increase my muscles in the face of genetic impossibility, I am now doing workouts with stamina in mind - lower weights and many more repetitions - as well as concentrating on building up my lower back, abs and obliques, all of which will stand me in good stead when I am on my feet again. It's a good feeling

So, another two weeks of no running. OK, I'll be good and stick to the doc's orders!!!! Of course, this precludes, that I will not have enough time to train for the Zürich International Marathon (would have been my first full mara) on 20th April, let alone the Paris events. Fortunately, when I registered and paid for Zürich, I also took out an insurance against injury, so my place in the 2008 event will now be put forward to 2009. As regards Paris, however, I failed to do the same, so lose a rather substantial amount of Euros on that score - one lives and learns!!!!!! This morning I wrote to both organisations, cancelling my participation, and it hurt like merry hell to do so, but I shall be sensible.

Looking on the bright side, there is a nice 25-kilometre race from Thusis to Chur here in our canton on 26th April, which I will (hopefully) attend; I have also registered for the GP Bern, which is a 10-mile (16-km) race through the centre of our nation's capital city on 10th May. And there are many more marathons coming up in summer and autumn, so I shall take my pick of a few of these, and register, but not until I am sure, that my tendon is in perfect working order!!!!!!!

Thank goodness Paris and Zürich will be there next year, because, other than the MdS in 2010, these were the "biggies" for me this year. C'est la vie.

No comments: