Friday 9 May 2008

My Training for the 2009 MdS - 8

Thursday's run was a recovery run, which I really did try to run at a slow pace. However, this is not something I am very good at - slow running - and explains the injuries I have had to date. Nevertheless, I did manage to stick to a pace of 5:24, and covered 8 km.

At one stage, though, I changed my mind suddenly about my route, and did a dramatic change of direction, causing my right leg to twist grossly. I felt an immediate pain in the lower part of my right calf muscle, which followed me all the way home. It was quite painful in the evening, and I iced it twice, which did seem to help. I also took an Ecofénac before bed, just in case. There is only a slight hint of discomfort this morning, but I'm having a rest day today, anyway, so hope the little injury will be better by tomorrow's race in Berne. (For the race website (in German), see: http://www.gpbern.ch/cms/aktuelles.phtml).

I'm very much looking forward to the Grand Prix de Berne. Apparently, it's a very festive time in the capital city, and the atmosphere is phenomenal. The weather forecast is for perfect spring weather, with a maximum temperature of 25°C, and only partly cloudy skies. I'm going down alone by train, expecting to arrive around midday, so I'll have time to fetch my number bib, and view the exhibition, before my part of the race starts at 16:24 hours. My number is 16089. I see, from the starting list, that there are some big names from the running fraternity taking part - obviously many Kenyans, Ethiopians and Eritreans, but also our Swiss champion, and winner of this year's Tokyo Marathon, Viktor Röthlin, will be racing too. Great excitement. I'm going to stay the night in Berne in a small hotel, so at least I don't have to come charging home to Chur by train, and can do that on Sunday morning in a leisurely fashion. Really excited about Saturday.

No comments: