Wednesday 7 May 2008

My Training for the 2009 MdS - 6

On Tuesday, I set out on a 12-km run which would involve some speed or tempo training. I have started using a marathon training plan from one of my running books (namely by Pete Pfitzinger), designed for someone who expects to run around 90 km a week, and training for a mara over 18 weeks. I have 22 weeks 'til the Berlin Marathon at the end of September, and shall use this programme, adjusted a tad to help me benefit from it as well for the MdS next March.

While on the subject of Berlin (which, in all probability, will be my first full marathon), I thought I'd jot down here, what my predictions are for my results on this race. I am aiming for 4h00, would like 3h30, but hope for 3h50. I wonder if this makes sense?

Anyway, yesterday, I set off on my 12-km run after a heavy day of death and being alone in the business, complete with overseeing the start of a facelift of our veranda, and renovations to the apartment above us. I was feeling a little tense, especially after having not slept well again the night before.

My route was from Chur down to Haldenstein, along the Rhein to Rossboden and the military area, and then back via Oberalpstrasse. As it turned out, it was a 12,07-km route, which was fine, and I did it in 1:01:30, average pace of 5:05. The speed part comprised 10 x 100-metre sprints, which actually were not as fast as they should have been, and took place along the Rhein. If I'd read the programme properly, I would have learnt, that a good rest in between speeding is vital - i.e. a good rest while still running. I sprinted 100 metres, ran for 200 metres, and then repeated this another nine times. My maximum speed was 2:43 or 22 kph. All-in-all, not too bad, but I'd like to get this sorted out and done properly. My homeward run, which is always uphill, and this time with a headwind, was rather slow, at an average of around 5:20, which caused me to become very irritated with myself, and caused an even further slowing-down. Ah, well, these things are sent to teach us.

This evening (Wednesday), I have medium-long run which means 18 km - down to the Rhein (what else?), along to Felsberg and further to cross the bridge at the dam on the Rhein, up to Domat/Ems, and then back to Chur - or the reverse (I'll decide, when I start). Pace will be about 5:05. There is a north wind blowing again, so I'll have a headwind on the way home - damn!!!

As I have said to a few mates on the MdS forum, this programme is somewhat structured, but I will try not to let it rule me, but rather I'll be flexible and use it, together with any variations, to my advantage. I feel happier, though, that I have something that may bring some discipline into my running - goodness knows, I need it because I do have a rather chaotic mind. When I was very involved with bodybuilding, I did experience a lot of self-discipline. Somehow with running, though, this hasn't been the case - probably due to the injuries, botching everything up for three months.

Well, that's the theory - now to put it all into practice!!!!!

No comments: