Thursday 20 March 2008

Pumping iron - sounds impressive - 3

I realised yesterday, that I am spending too much time in gym on my workouts. I have a programme of four days which I spread out over a week, often doing five workout days a week. This in itself is not so bad, considering I am not yet fully back into running, but each workout is taking nearly two hours, and any gym rat will tell you, that's too much.

The problem is, as always, I am trying to do too much, and I'll eventually wear myself out, and cause myself injury - it would not be the first time!!!!!!! Of course, as a runner, my main priority is building up the core muscles, and developing stamina, not bulking and getting huge (tried that already, anyway, and it doesn't work for me as I am not genetically predisposed to being Arnold II).

Especially when I get back into running, there is no way I will have time to do five two-hour workouts a week, plus run, plus wellness. Running is my first priority. Hence, today I decided to cut down on my gym programme. My workout for later this afternoon is as follows:

Barbell Bench Press 3 sets x 20 repetitions, 30 kg
Wide-grip Lateral Pulldowns 3 x 20, 35 kg
Adductors 3 x 20, 30 kg
Floor Crunches 3 x 42 (slowly increasing each week)
Calf Machine Raises 3 x 30, 110 kg
Biceps Curls Machine 3 x 20, 15 kg
Abs Machine 3 x 30, 10 units (have no idea how many kg, but I know it's tough at this weight)

Beforehand, because I drive to gym in this revolting weather we're having, I do five minutes on the cycling machine, and then a series of stretching exercises which take about 15 minutes.

The weights are not at all impresisve, but they're not supposed to be. I watch some of the other gym hot-shots, and, taking lateral pulldowns as an example, they may use 50 kg, but are doing 8 to 10 reps, while I'm at 20 reps!!!!!! I increase my weights slowly, as long as I can still do 20 reps of each set. I split the abs excercises on purpose, to give me a chance to recover in between them. my abs are quite strong now, but still no sign of the six-pack - probably never will be as I drink too much red wine!!!!!!

I'll add the other programmes this week as I do them. Of course, now that I can at least "walk fast" on the treadmill, I need more time for that, too - at least three times a week. When I get out on the road again, my time in gym will have to reduce to maximum three times a week.

If anyone actually reads these blogs, and can give any constructive criticism to my workouts, I'd be happy to consider any advice.

No comments: