Wednesday 19 March 2008

The Dreaded Treadmill - but progress - 1

On Sunday last at gym, I had the usual intense workout, and then decided - just to see - how it would be to do a fast walk on the treadmill again. I had to keep reminding myself, that I would not run until the end of April.

I started off slowly, gradually working up to a speed of 8,0 kph, which is quite a fast walk, but not yet a run as such. I set the inclination at 1,5%, and had a good sweat for a while. I knew what would happen, though - I increased the speed to 8,1 kph, which forced me into a slow run, and I expected the normal searing pain to hit me in my injured upper right femoral area.

What a pleasant surprise, when all I had was a slight discomfort in said area. No pain at all. However, I decided to be cautious when I thought back to the aftermath of a trial on the treadmill two weeks ago, and dropped the speed to 8 kph again after about 200 metres of running. I set the inclination at 2%, and managed a good 2,5-km walk.

Yesterday at gym, I decided again to hit the dreadmill. I did the same as before, building up slowly to 8 kph, only now, the temptation to run was very strong. This time, after five minutes of rapid walking, I increased the speed to 8,3 kph and took my first running step. There was neither pain nor discomfort. It was an amazing feeling. It was the first time I have been able to run since about the beginning of November, and not have any pain. Almost in tears of joy, I left the speed at 8,3 kph, and ran for about 200 metres this time, all pain- and discomfort-free. What a pleasure, and I was filled with emotion. Visions of marathons and ultramarathons came flooding into my head again, and I saw HOPE for the future!!!!!!!

I am most certainly learning from this injury, because after 200 metres, I decided to drop back to a fast walk again, and not push it!!!! Once again, 2,5 km and it felt great, just knowing I could run 200 metres!!!!!! I'll skip the dreadmill this evening and just do my workout, followed by the wellness evening at Bener Parc afterwards.

My mind is faster than my body, and it is already planning maras for autumn this year. I just hope that I can stick to being sensible, and not injure myself again. I do think that all my working out, stretching and caution is paying dividends.

No comments: