Friday 21 December 2007

Countdown to the Marathon des Sables 2010 Part 2


As each day goes by, I become more and more excited about the event ahead of me. These are VERY early days, and, although I am glad, that I have lots of time ahead of me to train, learn more about the MdS and what I should take, etc., I'm also wildly envious of the people taking part in 2008 and 2009.

Having written that, there are already times, like this morning, when I wake up in a cold sweat about the event, and have to convince myself, that I don't have to do it - it's a free choice. The panic lasts a few seconds, and then the extreme excitement of the whole thing sets in again, and I am overwhelmed by the fact that I know I have it in me to complete this race, and I know I will do it. I'm not doing it to impress anyone; I'm not doing it for anyone, other than myself. I want, more than anything else in the world, to receive a médaille confirming, that I have crossed the finishing line of the most gruelling foot race in the world.

I spend much time on the forum site: http://www.themds.co.uk/forums/index.php, feeling more at home there now, than anywhere else, anxiously awaiting new postings from members. I know I belong to a lunatic fringe, but it's the best thing in the world. I can hardly believe, that at the tender age of 51 years, I have found something, which has become my greatest obsession. It's not negative - it's a wonderful, positive and motivating feeling.

Today, on said forum, I accessed a posting which is entitled:
You know you're doing the Marathon des Sables when...
I added a couple of responses, and here they are:
... you inadvertently and unwillingly become the centre of conversation when people find out about your intention to participate, followed by strange looks from, and avoidance by, more conventional people.
... your partner thinks you're a total loon, but nevertheless starts buying you maps of Morocco, and Lonely Planet's guide to the country.
... you start adding French and Arabic to your "list of languages to learn before I die".
... you start panicking, that your current head cold and stupid leg injury are going to interfere with your participation on the MdS in 2010!!!!!
... you start copying music to your iPod, believing it will be motivating for the desert, and have already created a playlist on the iPod called "Morocco".
... you find your iPod weighs an absolute ton.
... you realize that your fancy Canon EOS digital camera is far too heavy to carry on the MdS, and you have already bought a smaller, almost weightless digicam for the event in 2010..
... you find your almost weightless digicam weighs an absolute ton.
... you start regarding your planned participation on the 89,3-km Comrades Marathon in South Africa in June 2009 as a walk in the park.
... your first full marathon (Zürich, on 20th April 2008) is actually annoying because it's so short.
... you realise, it's time to cut back on wine consumption.
... NOTHING else is important, other than the MdS!!!!!!

All of it true for me!!! March/April 2010 cannot come quickly enough. I just have to get over the cold and the leg injury, and then I will start focussing my training on MdS 2010 - although, of course, all races and training in between are also very important indeed.

No comments: