Tuesday 15 April 2008

My Training for the 2009 MdS - 2

I thought I would copy and paste an account of my run on last Sunday, so that it's available here, too, and not just on the MdS forum. Refers to Sunday, 13th April.

Just in after a beautiful Sunday run. Ran the equivalent of a half-mara, but not a PB by any means. Some really steep parts in the beginning, and hardly had time to warm-up properly. Then through the Fürstenwald forest, after which it was across undulating hills, and finally down to the Rhine and the long slog home.

Pics are on my Flickr.com site.

The good news is: not a single mutter or twinge from my injury spot, and that's the longest I have run since November last year. Maybe I am on the mend for once and for all.

The bad news is: I lost my brand new, and very yellow, wrist-worn meteorological station (wind, temperature, humidity, pressure)

(see: http://www.skyview.co.uk/dept1/acata...Pro_Watch.html).

I clipped it onto my MdS rucksack (which weighed 5 kg, by the way), and wondered then, if it was such a good idea. What a wally I am - suddenly thought of it about halfway, and it was gone, must have clipped it on badly. It was no good looking - it could have been anywhere!!!! Cost me about €250, so I am not happy. Believe me, before the MdS next year, I'll have another one.

I learnt a lot from this run, carrying the pack. Liquid (took lots of diluted Gatorade with me) moves when one runs - clever, that!!!! Need to investigate various ways of stabilising the pack. Ah, and I have realised, too, that every gram of weight does count!!!!!! Other than Thursday's jaunt up Mittenberg, I've never really run seriously with a rucksack before, so this was an interesting experience, and I have learnt already from it.

Looking forward to lots more of this kind of training. I'm amazed I actually managed 21 km because we got to bed quite late last night, I was up at 2:15 to fetch a body in a village in the mountains high above Chur (bloody death in the night!!!! ), back home at 3:45 a.m., and only got back to sleep around 5 o'clock. Up again at 9 o'clock, so I wasn't what one would call rested!!!! I felt a little sluggish, I have to admit - hmm, nothing to do with the bottle of red last night, I presume????

Now it's a hot bath, and then off to best friends for an apéro in the sun.

2 comments:

Dan said...

Cheers for the comments mate, and really looking forward to meeting you in the desert! It's good to have people to egg you on. Hillwalker and I converse quite a bit too, and he's a quality runner (sub 3 hour marathon runner), and he really spurs me on to do better, as although I'll never get anywhere near him in time terms, I keep trying to get better and better! Sounds like your injury woes are over, but take it easy mate... and remember the values of resting too. I've learnt that in a big way from doing this marathon.

All the best!

Craig B. said...

Thanks for the comment, Dan. Rest is good - I keep having to tell myself that, although I am pretty much guilty of being of the opinion, that if I am resting, then I am wasting time!!! Need to moderate that idea. Hillwalker sounds a strong runner. Seems like Canberra taught you a huge amount, which is good. I felt the same after my last half-mara in November, and now look forward to the 25-km race on 26th. Off on a good run this afternoon. Cheers. Craig