Sunday 6 April 2008

A Change of Plans........ I must be mad.



I really think I must be losing the plot. This week has been the most intense of my life - sportwise, anyway. Everything has come to a virtual standstill while the 23rd Marathon des Sables has taken place in eastern Morocco in the Sahara Desert. I have spent every single spare moment of the last week anxiously scanning the websites for news, info and results. Several running mates of mine have been out there this year on the MdS, and I have used my time at home to keep in touch with them, and add my contribution to the British forum of the whole event. It's been quite a week, and, when the race finished yesterday, I felt as exhausted as the hero runners. Big Smile.

Then, admittedly edged on by a rather overwhelming show of support from forum members, many of whom are running next year, I've sort of completely made up my mind to race as well in 2009 (and, if it goes well for me, again in 2010, 2011, 2012...... 'til death causes me to stop). There are a few hurdles to overcome first, mainly financial and physical, but my mental state is totally for 2009, and the other two obstacles can be overcome for sure. This means, that this time next year (or around thus time, anyway, as the dates are not always the same), I'll be in Morocco, proving my high level of insanity to the world.

Whilst the agents for the race from the UK and other countries have already booked out their contingents up to, and including 2010, I can reserve a place on the MdS over the German agent, thanks to my living in Switzerland. Bookings open at the beginning of October for the following year's race, so I could still very well get on to the 2009 MdS.

In other news - I've started running again after a long time of inactivity, due to that pesky Iliopsoas tendon injury. I started off slowly - 3 kms a day for two days - then gradually built up to a nice medium run yesterday of 12 km which included some pretty stiff hill-work, too. The gammy leg is not 100%, that's for sure, but it's not causing me any pain - just a irksome tension to remind me it's still there. However, I am convinced I can beat this thing, and inactivity is not one of the solutions. I will take it slowly, and I will conquer it!!!

So, there we have it. Normal blog entries will resume tomorrow, now that I have my life back again. However, I must yet again add a HUGE SALUTE to all the runners on the 2008 MdS. They are super-humans, and to be admired.

No comments: